Wednesday 26 February 2014

Harry Cloud - Red Barn


LA's Harry Cloud is at it again.  His Cry Now, Cry Later EP with Cops was one of the highlights of 2013 - if you like music that slides muddily around your brain, soaking up here and picking up bits of mental debris there until what you end up with is a massive pile of amazing stuff that's half them and half your own fragmented, blasted preconceptions - which I do.  

Now he's back, with another NYOP release on his bandcamp site and, if anything, it's an even more volatile and arresting collection, spanning as it does a bewilderingly broad spectrum all the way from woozy introspection right the way through to manic bursts of  energy.  Exactly what you'd expect from Harry Cloud, only moreso.

My favourite of the six tracks on Red Barn is the longest, 'WOrmhole', mainly because it seems to cover every inch of that spectrum and somehow make room for several more besides.  You can hear it in my February show on Dandelion Radio.  Because it's Harry Cloud, I can't leave it there though, so I've got the arresting melancholy ache of opener 'Dermatillomania' coming up in my March show, which starts streaming on Saturday.

Harry Cloud is necessary because, should I forget, he reminds me that the world is a crazy, warped and utterly irrational place and that I should like it for being just that.  Red Barn may be their most crazy, warped and irrational record yet and I find myself utterly devoted to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment