I know this is a bit early, but I always start it at this time of year and it still takes me up to Xmas Eve before I get to the end. And I want to get it done and dusted before the first broadcast of the Festive Fifty which, as usual, will be on Xmas Day. A reminder you can vote for your favourite three tracks of the year here. You've got till the end of November.
In this chart, these are numbers 30-26:
30. Hunting a Schizophrenic Wolf - The Fucked Up Beat (Daddy Tank) - Above
Abrasive and apt to stir your body to move in strange, unhealthy directions. Yet another work of wonder from one of the finest record labels of our time, if not the finest.
29. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (Astro Black)
Out of the blue release that turned out to be one of Will Oldham's best ever: this finds him at his quirky, melancholy best.
28. Why Can't You Write Something Nice For a Change? - Tingle in the Netherlands (Nerve Echo)
A collection that brings together this irreverent duo's work together in one neat, nasty little package. Irrepressible ditties that offend in a world that needs offending.
27. Lunar Collection - Lee Negin (Passing Phase)
A regular visitor to these annual charts, still knocking out electronic music that manages to be both familiar and surprising at the same time.
26. A Wonder Working Stone - Alasdair Roberts & Friends (Drag City) - Below
Understated neo-folk from one of a small number of masters of the craft.
Numbers 25-21 coming soon...