Thursday 4 December 2014

Top Forty Albums of 2014: 20-16

Our list of the best albums of the year moves into the top twenty:

20.  Chausse Trappe - Chausse Trappe (Kythibong)

The consistently brilliant French label added to its reputation when it brought us this explosive nerve-shredder of a release.  Noise manipulation at its very best.

19. Rack Attack 2.0 - Molokai (Self-released)

The finest surf guitar album of modern times came from Macedonia, courtesy of a band who had unfortunately already called it a day.  Hate it when that happens.

18.  Mirrors Fold - Gum Takes Tooth (Tigertrap)

Brilliantly evocative psychedelic meanderings from a band to treasure and a label to cherish.

17.  Mirrorism - Mirrorism (Self-released)

Still can't recall how I got hold of this or where it came from.  There's no mirror theme developing here, incidentally, just two damn fine albums that happen to have the word in their titles.

16.  Burn Fire For No Witness - Angel Olsen (Jagjaguwar)

Full marks to Jagjaguwar for pulling their heads out of their arses long enough to release this, from one of those rare magnificent artists who seem keen to use their relative popularity to ensure the world hears more great music.  Saw her at the Green Man Festival this year and that just made me play the album even more.

Top fifteen coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. You've actually managed to put 40 albums in order of preference? Blimey - I don't know how you do it!
    Coming from a different musical planet, so far I've not heard of any of these. I await the rest with interest, although my eyes struggle with white text on black background, I think I may go blind before I reach the top 5! There must be one I've come across on planet avant/prog, surely? :)

    ReplyDelete